Love addiction is a debilitating illness with serious consequences - it entails being obsessed with a person, fantasy, or relationship and mistaking this for authentic love. The critical factor that defines a love addict is the degree to which obsessive relationship with love begins to rule an individual’s life. Love addicts mistake intensity for intimacy.
- Do you repeatedly fall in to hurtful, destructive relationships?
- Do you rush in to relationships too quickly without getting to know your partner?
- Do you have an overwhelming fear of being alone?
- Do you panic at the thought of your partner not loving you - and eventually abandoning you?
- Are you often demanding in relationships - do you end up smothering and suffocating you partner?
- Are you obsessed with your partner and assign a disproportionate amount of time and attention to that person?
- Do you put your partner on a pedestal and idolize them?
- Do you have unrealistic expectations of love from your partner?
- Do you neglect to care and value yourself when in a relationship?
- Do you find yourself preoccupied with obsessive romantic thoughts or fantasies - do you fantasize about being rescued by a heroic partner?
- Were you abandoned or neglected by a parent or care giver in childhood?